An unauthorized release which meets the reporting requirements of California Health and Safety Code Division 20, Chapter 6.7, Sections 25294, 25295 and 25295.5, should be reported to this office within 24 hours of detection.

Within 5 days of discovery of the unauthorized release, a written report in the form of an Unauthorized Release Reporting Form needs to be submitted to this office by the responsible party (UST owner and/or operator), as well as uploaded into the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS), under the “Miscellaneous Documents” section of the UST heading for the facility in question. These requirements apply to an unauthorized release which has occurred or is discovered as the result of a UST or UST system equipment closure or removal.

Electronic reporting requirements have been established by the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB). When an unauthorized release occurs, soil sampling results need to be electronically submitted to GeoTracker. If groundwater is impacted, established wells and the elevation of groundwater need to be surveyed and also submitted to GeoTracker.

There are legislative requirements pertaining to cleanup and closure of sites where an unauthorized release of hazardous substance, including petroleum has occurred from an underground storage tank (UST). Section 25297.15(a) of Chapter 6.7 of the Health and Safety Code requires the primary or active responsible party to notify all current record owners of fee title to the site of: 1) a site cleanup proposal, 2) a site closure proposal, 3) a local agency intention to make a determination that no further action is required, and 4) a local agency intention to issue a closure letter. Section 25297.15(b) requires the local agency to take all reasonable steps to accommodate responsible landowners’ participation in the cleanup or site closure process and to consider their input and recommendations. Land Owner Notification Form 2 and Form 3 are available to satisfy this requirement.

To find out more about hiring a consultant or contractor, the SWRCB explains some of the process here. If you are hiring a contractor, the California Contractors State Licensing Boardmay be a useful source for additional information.

If it is necessary to establish or construct any water wells (including monitoring wells), you must permit with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.  It is also a requirement to decommission monitoring wells if they are no longer being used.  If any work is to be performed in the public right of way, a permit for road encroachment and well inspection from either Los Angeles County Public Works Land Development Division or a local building/planning department may also be required.